Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's Christmas Novena time again!

First of all, I realize that I never said thank you for the kind comments and tweets and emails in response to my recent post about trying for another baby.  I started blogging as a way to deal with the overwhelming emotions I'd had concerning our fertility issues, and it continues to mean so much to me to know that there are people out there--some we've met, some we haven't--who are rooting for us and praying for us.

And speaking of prayer, I wrote last year about the Christmas novena that Arwen prayed before Camilla was conceived, and that we prayed before Nate was conceived.  Between us we're three for three with this novena leading to pregnancy, and even though my more recent pregnancy ended badly, I remain more convinced than ever of the efficacy of this incredibly powerful prayer.

I'm re-posting below what I wrote last year as we prepare to begin praying again.  The novena starts today, the feast of Saint Andrew!  If you're so inclined and want to pray along with us, I'd be ever so grateful if you'd add our intention to your own.  I don't think it's any secret what we're praying for.  And a special thanks to all of you who have already promised your prayers.  Please know that you remain always in mine.

* * * * *

Two years ago, Arwen told me about a novena she'd prayed three years earlier. She had been trying to get pregnant for two years at that point (ironic, isn't it, that she'll have FOUR children next summer?), and she was turning to this special, powerful prayer.

I knew, of course, that she got pregnant with Camilla less than two months after the novena was done, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any doubts that it would "work" for us. I mean, I know that God answers every prayer, but I also know that the answer isn't always the one we'd hoped for. We'd been waiting over three years for a baby by then, and I had only one fallopian tube, and I was ten years older than she'd been when the novena worked for her, and . . . let's just say I was hopeful, but hesitant.

But pray we did. As did the rest of Arwen's family, and less than a month after Christmas we found out I was expecting Nate.

Needless to say, then, I'm a big believer in this novena. We'll be praying it again this year, starting on the feast of Saint Andrew. The prayer is recited fifteen times per day from November 30th through Christmas. It's a lovely prayer and very easy to memorize.

If you'd like to join in, make sure you choose a good intention. This is one powerful prayer!
Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
in which the Son of God was born of the Most pure Virgin Mary
at midnight in Bethlehem, in piercing cold.
In that hour, vouchsafe, o my God!
to hear my prayer and grant my desires,
through the merits of our Savior Jesus Christ
and of His Blessed Mother.
Amen.

3 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

I woke up this morning, realized it was the feast of St. Andrew, and thought "Drat, I haven't printed out the prayer yet." But I gave it a minute's thought, and darned if I don't have the thing memorized! Your intention is one of the two I'm focusing on this year.

Elsha said...

I won't be praying the novena (seeing as I'm not Catholic) but I will definitely be keeping you guys in my prayers!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm late to say so, but I am praying this year as well, for you, me, and my friend Maria.