Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer plans, up in flames. (Literally.)

Taking Nate to the pool regularly was probably the single activity I was most looking forward to this summer. I mentioned in my last post that we'd bought a membership to a local pool, and that this was the only pool I found that was open during the week throughout June (instead of a weekends-only schedule until the public schools let out), and the only pool that opened early enough to take Nate before his afternoon nap.

David and I took Nate for the first time last Saturday, and it was wonderful. We hit the baby pool around 10:15 or so, then got in the main pool from the time it opened at 11:00 until the mandatory kids' rest time at 11:45, when we headed home for lunch. Nate loved it, we loved it, and I left patting myself on the back for finding the perfect solution for us.

And then, on Monday morning, I opened my inbox to find a message titled, "LHP closed until further notice." There was a fire in the building that houses the locker rooms, lifeguard room, and snack bar, and it took out half of the building and the electrical system for the entire property. Thankfully, it occurred in the middle of the night, and no one was hurt. You can see photos of the damage on the pool's facebook page.

And that's it. They don't know how long it will take to rebuild, or replace the electrical system, or get the pool up and running. It will likely be closed for the entire summer. And, y'all, I know this is such a freakin' first-world problem to have; woe is me, I can't take my toddler swimming whenever I'd like. But it's already in the mid-90s and humid this week, which severely limits our outdoor activity options. I lasted about 20 or 25 minutes at the playground yesterday morning, at 9:30 a.m. And all Nate wants is to go outside. He loves it.

I'm just really, really disappointed. Maybe it's stupid, but there it is.

I bought a twelve-dollar baby pool yesterday. It's not the same. It's not the same at all.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I am so sorry! that would be terribly disappointing to me, as swimming with my little ones has always been my favorite summer activity. I hope that either this pool reopens or another option will be available to you soon!

Salome Ellen said...

What a bummer! I hope your membership is transferable to next summer. But I'm most bummed for you about the lost nap-inducing properties. Sigh.

Jessica said...

That stinks! I love swimming and, like you, am not a fan of the park (the park is just so boring). I don't know what I'm going to do with my outside! outside! outside! child this summer, since I HATE being outside when its hot.

Sarah in Ottawa said...

Oh, that sucks so much. I mean, I'm really glad that no one was hurt, obviously, but what a huge disappointment.

I do hope to see picks of the kiddie pool, though.