Friday, June 3, 2011

Seven Quick Takes

- 1 -

Last week, I had a crisis of fashion and decided that I hated almost all of my casual summer clothes. I have lots of things I like for church or a dinner out in the summer--white pants with bright tops are my go-to for date nights, and I have plenty of lightweight dresses and skirts for church. I'm the opposite in winter; I have tons of casual jeans-and-a-sweater-and-boots options, but I'm at a loss when it comes to dressing up.

Hallie at Betty Beguiles recently began offering personal shopping services, and so I decided to go for it. I told her that I was interested in cute, SAHM-friendly everyday outfits that would work in our DC heat and humidity. And boy, did she deliver. She put together seven complete looks for me, along with links to purchase each item. And the outfits are adorable. You can see a few of them here. I'm going to be doing some major internet shopping this weekend.

- 2 -

I received an invitation to attend a casual dinner for a few alumni from my university, as well as some current students who are interning in DC for the summer. The honors program coordinator who is organizing the dinner made a point of saying she thought the students would be particularly interested in my work with the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I felt obliged to tell her that, although I'd be delighted to attend, I was no longer working on the Hill, and that I'd been "just" a stay-at-home mom for a couple of years now. And after I hit Send I was honestly afraid that she'd respond with a "thanks, but no thanks," and rescind the invitation. Thankfully, she didn't, but it was one of the first times I've felt like I might be a disappointment because I've chosen to forgo an interesting and desirable career for motherhood. I know the only people's opinions that really matter here are (1) mine, (2) David's, and (3) Nate's, but it's still hard sometimes in a city like this to be off the career track.

- 3 -

For the first time in--well, ever--I completely cleaned out my Google reader. David convinced me to download feedly onto my iPad, which somehow makes it easier for me to flip through posts quickly. Between that and the Google Reader "Next" button that Manda just talked about, I think I may finally stay on top of my feeds!

- 4 -

Our pool might be able to re-open in a couple of weeks! It looks like the county is very supportive of allowing them to open with temporary measures--like a trailer for the men's locker room--in place. Summer is saved!

- 5 -

We might have just lucked into a beach vacation for later in the summer. Some good friends of ours--our goddaughter's parents--mentioned that they are renting a house in the Outer Banks for a week in August. When I asked who they were going with, they said, "No one. Unless you want to come." We've been talking about taking Nate to the beach at least for a weekend this summer, and it would be wonderful to vacation with these friends. We need to look at the dates and discuss whether we think Nate could do a long-ish car trip, but I think we're going to go for it!

- 6 -

Speaking of trips, I've told David that, if I'm not pregnant again by vacation time next year, I want my consolation prize to be a trip to the Napa Valley. And I want to stay here. Obviously, I desperately hope we end up with a baby instead of a wine-tasting vacation, but it's sort of nice to have something to look forward to in case Plan A doesn't work out, right?

- 7 -

I need a new TV series to watch on Netflix instant. I've gone through Veronica Mars, Friday Night Lights, Damages, and Downton Abbey. Any suggestions?

More quick takes at Conversion Diary.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! I hope the pool reopens as soon as possible!

hopeforcambodia said...

Oh, what is Downton Abbey like? It has just come on here in AUstralia. I missed the first one due to my husband forgetting to record!

I agree with making plans. We went on a European holiday when I really wanted to be home pregnant instead, but it was a nice consolation prize. We would love to go to the Napa Valley someday. We love wine tasting and have some lovely wines from wineries not that far from us. Have you ever tried Margaret River wines?

I don't know if they come as a tv series but we bought the first Ma Ramotswe series and it is GREAT! Have you read the books by Alexander Mcall Smith? Number One Ladies Detective Agency. One of my favourite series of novels. Try to read the books before watching the series. :)

Valerie

SoccerNerdPunk said...

Glad the pool situation is working out.
As for Netflix TV suggestions, try the show Psych.
The very first episode was a little slow for me but after that it picks up.

Sarah in Ottawa said...

This is such a happy post! Hooray!

I LOVE all the outfits that Hallie chose for you. How did the shopping go?

As for recommendations on Netflix, I can't see what is available for streaming in the US (stupid Canadian regulations) but if you aren't watching Parks and Recreation, you should check it out.

Home Sweet Sarah said...

Well I hope you WON'T be coming to Napa, but if you do, I have many recommendations for you. And I'll try my best not to tag along (I live right by Napa.)

Also, we've been watching Sons of Anarchy on NetFlix instant. Two episodes left! (Seasons 1 and 2 are on Instant; 3 isn't out of DVD yet, boo!)

Home Sweet Sarah said...

Well I hope you WON'T be coming to Napa, but if you do, I have many recommendations for you. And I'll try my best not to tag along (I live right by Napa.)

Also, we've been watching Sons of Anarchy on NetFlix instant. Two episodes left! (Seasons 1 and 2 are on Instant; 3 isn't out of DVD yet, boo!)

Rosemary said...

Foyle's War!!! It is awesome. You will love it and so will your husband.

Rosemary said...

Also, I liked Lie to Me. It got old after awhile and is formulaic but aren't they all. It was fun. You will love Detective Chief Inspector Foyle though.