Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I know I should stop him, but it's just too cute

Is there anything you let your child do because you find it adorable, even though you know you'll probably regret it later?

We have these beautiful curtains in our great room. I can't take credit for them, except insofar as I thought to include them in our purchase contract for the house. The previous owner had them made, and I loved them when we looked at the house.

An almost identical set of custom-made curtains was actually included in the October issue of Better Homes & Gardens--what a surprise to see a feature on another house in Alexandria with the same drapes in a different color! Same fabric type, same style, same trim; boy was the previous owner annoyed when I showed her the article. I think she had picked out the trim herself, and then her decorator had gone and used it for another client.

I didn't try telling her that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I know how much that adage annoyed me as a kid when my younger sister would copy me.

But today Nate has decided that he loves hiding in the curtains. I feel like I should get him to stop, lest he someday ruin them with sticky hands or a too-enthusiastic tug. I just can't right now, though, because it might be one of the cutest things I've ever seen. So for today, at least, I'm letting him have his fun.

1 comment:

Dr. Maureen said...

Definitely the right choice to allow cuteness at risk of dirty curtains. As my (wise) grandmother once told my mother, who was fretting about curtains, "Those curtains will be there long after you're dead and gone. Sit down and have a cup of tea."

Replace "have a cup of tea" with "enjoy your cute baby" and you're good to go.