Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vanity - All is Vanity

I have a strange fascination with vanity license plates. I appreciate it when someone comes up with something clever, like a creative description of the car to which the plate is attached. Living in Washington, DC, we also see a fair number of political license plates, like this:

Can we guess the driver's party affiliation?

The ones that leave me scratching my head, though, are the ones that are just so, well, vain. You have to wonder what possesses someone to go with this:

If true, do you need the vanity plate to proclaim it?

There's also the trend, perhaps peculiar to women, to adopt vanity plates that tout the driver's physical beauty or other supposedly desirable attributes. You know, plates like "2CUTE" and "SO HOT" and "DIVA." (Actually, there are lots of variations on diva, which leads me to conclude that not everyone understands that term's connotation.) Or plates like this:

If you say so.

Sometimes I'll see something a little different, which amuses me for a moment. Then I wonder what the person is compensating for:

Only in his own mind.

My all-time favorite, though, is the woman driving a Lexus RX300 I've seen several times on I-395, though I've never been able to score a photo: LEXY LDY.

Personally, if I were going to get a vanity plate, I might try for something like "NRCISSUS." But I'm not sure I'm really that vain.

2 comments:

Sarah in Ottawa said...

I like the 2nd one. You never know -- Wayne might be driving an Altima around DC. :)

Patti Money said...

When I first met him, my husband had a vanity place with "PHD2B". When we moved out of state, he just got a regular license plate because of the cost. He hasn't had a vanity plate since, but he did get his PhD. (: