Monday, November 1, 2010

Transition

I think it's official: Nate is transitioning from two naps per day to one. Last week and over the weekend, he was taking forever to go down for his naps. His afternoon naps were awful if he'd taken a good morning nap, and he refused to take a nap at all on Friday afternoon. I have been dreading the arrival of this day, not because I think one nap is so awful, but because I hear the process of moving from two to one totally sucks.

Don't get me wrong, though--there's a lot to miss about that morning nap. Nate still gets up between 5:30 and 6:30 most days (or 5:10 this morning; dear Lord make it stop). He would nap around 8:30, so I was always just able to push my own breakfast and getting ready to his naptime. No more, friends. Now it's scarfing down a bagel while feeding bites to a clingy one year old, and blow drying my hair while he empties the bathroom drawers. Good times.

I've read a lot online from moms who moved the morning nap back by 10-15 minutes at a time, until eventually it was in the middle of the day and was the only nap. I don't think I have the patience for that, so today is Day One of my cold-turkey approach. We simply skipped the morning nap altogether, got out of the house for distraction, and then I put him down just after noon. He fell asleep almost immediately but woke up after only 45 minutes. Then, miraculously, he went back to sleep after about 15 minutes of mild fussing.

Who knows how the rest of the day will go--or the rest of the week, for that matter. He didn't get too fussy this morning, and I managed to get myself both fed and presentable while he was awake, so I am declaring success.

Any advice for dealing with this shift? Any reason to be hopeful that it will make things better? Is there even the slightest chance that sleeping less during the day will allow him to sleep later in the mornings?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I recommend safety latches for the bathroom drawers. I have just had it with the emptying of the drawers! I don't know how many times I've yelled at my daughter for spreading the contents of the tampon drawer through the house. Unfortunately I'm too clueless/lazy to purchase and install the latches, so I settle for nagging my husband (who still hasn't done it).

Dr. Maureen said...

If my kids are anything to go by, they wake up at the same time no matter when they went to bed or how much they napped or how often they woke up screaming in the night. And that time is EARLY. (Actually, Jack sleeps till 6:30 or even 7!!!!! now, but Nora is ready for the day at 5:00.)

But I'm a proponent of doing errands in the morning, then home for early lunch and nap. Best way to handle the transition, at least for me.

claire said...

I think you might end up being pleasantly surprised. I have read that an early morning nap encourages an early morning awakening. With the early morning nap eliminated, there's a possibility that he might start his day a little later than before. I found that my life was so much easier once my son transitioned to one nap/day. It gave us the whole morning for errands, activities, etc, without having to rush home for his morning nap. As far as breakfast/showering, my husband and I took turns watching him before my husband left for work in the morning, so I could shower without my son underfoot.

Lisa said...

I just transitioned the one-year-old I babysit. He's not a great example because he's such an easy kid, but I found that he goes down faster, sleeps much longer during his midday nap and wakes up happier than when he had two naps. His mom says he's sleeping pretty well at night too. It takes some effort to get him and the other kids through the morning, but then they all sleep so well that it's worth it. And my advice is to put him down around noon and just leave him if he fusses. It won't take long for him to figure out how to soothe himself back to sleep, and before you know it, he'll be sleeping for hours without waking up.