Saturday, November 27, 2010

Too excited to sleep!

We actually did it. Yesterday we pulled the trigger and booked our trip to Disney World.

I am thinking of little else. I go to bed feeling like the family in this commercial--too excited to sleep. (How hilarious is that little boy, by the way?) David and I have been reading The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids and reading passages out loud to each other. We've been scoping out the Disney website and various unaffiliated sites for information.

We found a hotel on the property that offers "villas"--we'll be staying in an actual one-bedroom condo with a full kitchen, in a building that's adjacent to the Contemporary resort. (Hooray for being on the monorail line!) I don't think we'll cook, but it will be good to be able to eat breakfast and keep refrigerated snacks and drinks in the room.

We're going in early February, which makes me happy. Not only will we be escaping D.C. during the worst of winter, but it's truly the off season at Disney. I do not like the heat and would not want to have to push Nate around in 95-degree weather, and I really, really don't like crowds. I grew up outside Atlanta, and we'd go to Six Flags Over Georgia for church youth group trips or as a family. My very favorite visit to that park, though, was in college, when I went on a 50-degree day in March. There were no crowds, no lines, and no blazing sun. We practically walked onto every ride; I don't think we ever waited for more than ten minutes. If we liked a ride, we went from the exit straight back to the entrance to ride again. It was terrific. I don't expect Disney to be as sparsely attended, even in the off season, but it's got to be better than the peak times.

We're also planning on taking a couple of days at each of the parks we want to see. We're arriving mid-day on Sunday and leaving the following Saturday, so we got a six-day pass to the parks. (Did you know that after you reach three days, the incremental price increase for each additional day is only around $5--or less!--per day? The price for an adult three-day pass is $233.24 right now, but it's only $246.02 for a six-day pass--less than $13 more for three additional days! We figured it was worth having passes for the day we arrive at that price, even if we just go to dinner in Epcot or something.) Obviously we won't be able to hang around the parks all day with Nate, so I'm glad we won't be cramming everything into one day per park. We're totally taking Maggie's advice and doing the parks as soon as they open, lunch, naptime in the room for Nate, then back to the parks for a parade or dinner or more attractions.

At Patti's recommendation, we already have a reservation for dinner at 'Ohana in the Polynesian resort, and we made a reservation for breakfast at the Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters. I'm quite confident that Nate is too young to appreciate any of the characters, so we're not doing any other character meals, but we wanted to give it a shot.

And that's it for plans so far. I want to make more meal reservations and figure out whether I can squeeze in at least one spa treatment during Nate's afternoon naps. I just don't feel like I've been on vacation unless I go to a spa.

Did I mention that I'm excited???

4 comments:

Betty Beguiles said...

I have the best memories of going to Disney World as a kid. I'm so excited for you! :)

Sarah in Ottawa said...

The last time we went, it was late January/early February, and the weather was coolish but GREAT for touring the parks. (We went to MK on Superbowl Sunday the year that the Buccs won - talk about quiet!). Early morning on a cool day is the best time to visit AK - go right for the Safari ride because the animals are insanely active. We were inches from a rhino, and our path was blocked for several minutes by an ostrich that got within 6 inches of Dave's face (YIKES!) after standing in front of our jeep and pooping in the road. Good times!

Oh! You will have so much fun!

O'Hana is DELICIOUS!

claire said...

Awesome! I think your timeframe is perfect, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Lindsay said...

I'm so excited for you! My roommate goes to Disney World every year; she and her family have a Disney vacation rewards or package thing or something, I can't remember. I'm always so jealous--I haven't gotten to go since I was 2 or 3, and I hardly remember any of it. I agree with you, though, I hate crowds and I hate hot weather; going in February sounds perfect! I hope you guys have a blast, and I hope you manage to get your spa treatment. :o)