Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Today was a less than stellar day.

It started off well enough. Nate actually slept until 6:00 this morning, a significant improvement when I'm used to seeing a 5 or even a 4 on the clock when he wakes up. David and I were in good moods. Nate was in a good mood. His morning nap and music class were great.

And then, the afternoon hit. He refused to sleep at all this afternoon, and consequently was fussy and clingy until after dinnertime. The dog was barking her head off all afternoon and driving me up the wall. David had to cancel our date night when one of his clients asked for a conference call involving one of his firm's offices in Asia.

So I decided to improve my evening. Miriel, God bless her, went to the grocery for me when we no longer needed her to babysit. David was at home to take the conference call, so I decided to take myself out to dinner. I went to a Cajun restaurant just down the street from our house and settled into a booth in the bar with my December Real Simple. After a glass of wine, an order of crawfish and shrimp beignets, and a bowl of she crab soup, I'm feeling much better about the world.

* * * * *

I also wanted to say thank you for all of the vacation advice. I think that once Nate is well and truly down to one nap a day, giving us a chunk of time early in the day to get out of the room or condo or whatever, we'll just suck it up and brave it. I'm impressed that so many of you took or are taking big trips with babies and young toddlers! You're inspiring me to be brave and give it a go!

2 comments:

claire said...

I'm glad you had a fun evening, and that Nate slept a little later for you! Let's hope it will be a trend!

hopeforcambodia said...

I think we have to re-think what a holiday will look like as parents! I guess if we see it as a change-of-scene every holiday will be a success! I must admit, I hate to throw off my baby's sleeping, but I have friends who take their babies camping, so I guess it is a case of biting the bullet!

It is summer here, and we are planning a couple of weeks at the beach in February, one at my parents' beach house and another down in a town called Albany. I think the beach house or holiday cabin idea is best. Baby can have own room and parents can get time out in the evenings. I would see it as a chance for lots of lovely reading time!

For me, anytime my husband is around to share the load is a holiday of sorts. I just love the extra pair of hands.

Valerie