Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Plan

The linens are ironed. The table is set. The wine is purchased. I picked up the turkey from the butcher today, and David and I braved the grocery this evening.

If all goes well, my in-laws will arrive in town tomorrow evening, so that they can watch Nate during Thursday's cooking. Regardless, tomorrow will be the day for turkey brining, potato mashing, and pumpkin bread baking (for Bobby Flay's pumpkin bread pudding). David only has to work in the morning, so I practically feel like the holiday has already begun!

I really don't want the cooking to get overwhelming on Thursday. Our friends are bringing two of the side dishes, so that makes things easier. Getting the potatoes done is also huge; peeling and dicing potatoes the day of stresses me out. (Arwen told me a great tip for reheating mashed potatoes: The crock pot! Who knew!)

I probably need to make some kind of detailed list so that I don't forget to do something on Thursday.

Okay, this officially wins the award for the most boring post ever, but it's 10:15 and I usually go to bed at 9:30 and Nate will not be sympathetic and sleep later if I stay up trying to craft a better post. So I'm hitting publish and promising better things for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You can do it! Deep breaths!
(also, you can peel and dice the potatoes ahead of time if you put them in ice water in the fridge after you peel them. Then you can boil and mash them while the turkey sits for a bit after it comes out of the oven.)

I am getting my stuff prepped too, and I just realized that my feet are somehow covered with the filling from the cinnamon rolls I just made. Probably not a great sign. :)

Patti Money said...

I feel your pain re the mashed potatoes. I hate them (both eating and making them), but my husband loves them, and refuses to eat the boxed variety. Out of love for him, I make them every few weeks. Good luck on Thursday!

L said...

No, not boring. You gave several good cooking tips, which I sorely need. Hope you have a great holiday!