Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful

David fell asleep sitting up on the couch after dinner, so I'm declaring it a success. I took video, but I don't think he'd be very happy if I shared it here.

Everyone said the food was delicious. I have to say that I agree. When I told one of my neighbors yesterday that we were brining the turkey, she informed me that after she'd had her first brined bird, she decided she never wanted to have turkey any other way. She was completely right--it was that good. And maybe it's because we bought a fresh Amish-raised turkey from the local butcher instead of a frozen Butterball, but, lands, was that a flavorful bird. I'm already looking forward to the leftovers.

And! And! I successfully made from-scratch gravy. And it wasn't lumpy, and it thickened up properly, and it was hands-down the most delicious turkey gravy I've ever had in my life. I know I'm totally bragging here, but you would be too if you'd made this gravy. The gravy was the one thing I was affirmatively worried about, because it's notoriously finicky, but it all came together in the end.

The only casualty of the day was our instant-read meat thermometer, which I've learned can't stay stuck in the bird while it's in the oven. (Is there some thermometer that goes into the oven with the turkey? Or is that my imagination?)

And now I am just . . . so . . . tired. The dishes are going to wait until tomorrow.

But I won't sign off without saying that I'm so thankful. I'm thankful for the most wonderful husband anyone could ask for. I'm thankful for our beautiful, hilarious, precious little boy. I'm thankful for family and friends who love me. I'm thankful for a comfortable home, plenty of food to eat, and warm clothes. I'm thankful that David's job lets me spend every day with my son.

Most of all, I'm thankful for the gift of faith, and for a Church that holds fast to what is true and beautiful despite unceasing pressure to change. And I'm thankful that the Lord of all creation somehow sees fit to love a creature like me.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

There are meat thermometers that you stick in the bird and leave in the oven, and a separate timer that goes off when your beast has reached the temperature you chose.

Huge applause for your gravy.

claire said...

I'm so glad your dinner went well! Gravy is always a challenge. I am very thankful for your blog; it's one of my favorites!

Brooke said...

We need to talk about this turkey brining business and how you did the gravy.

Oh, and I loved the thankful part of this post. Beautiful.