Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One of my very least favorite questions is, "What are your hobbies?' Because the fact of the matter is that I really don't have any, and haven't since college. In high school I was involved in theater and chorus, both of which I loved. In college I took up ballroom dancing for a time, and performed with my university's then-newish Ballroom Performance Group. But since then? Meh.

Sure, I read, but I don't read enough to really consider it a hobby. I feel like to say you read as a hobby, you either need to have a specific focus (biographies, maybe, or young adult fiction, or historical novels), or you need to just be a very broad reader. I don't think chick lit plus the occasional memoir plus child-rearing books counts.

I refuse to call television a hobby, no matter how much of it I watch.

I I like wine, but I can't imagine being sufficiently interested in it to make it a hobby.

I'd like to be one of those people who enjoys cooking and baking, but truth be told my current least-favorite four words are, "Hon, what's for dinner?" When it comes to feeding us after I get Nate to bed, my only concerns are how long it will take to cook and how long it will take to clean up. (I truly do hope this changes as Nate gets older and doesn't insist on pulling everything out of the lower cabinets as I try to do anything in the kitchen.)

This state of affairs simply cannot continue. I am, therefore, making it my mission to decide before the end of the year whether I'd like to try to learn more about photography, sewing, or knitting. I want to do something that gives me tangible benefits, and these three choices fit the bill. Whether it's making Nate's Halloween costumes or knitting us scarves and hats or putting together nice albums, each of these hobbies would give my family something special. Each one also seems, for lack of a better word, attainable; I feel like I could quickly get to a point at which I would be successful with simple projects, which would help give me the motivation to continue.

Now I just need to dig around online to see where I could take a class or lessons for any of these activities, and how much the classes or lessons cost. I also need to think about materials cost. Buying a decent sewing machine, for example, seems like a biggish investment up front.

What do y'all think? Do you have hobbies you love? Am I crazy to want to take something up with an almost-toddler underfoot? If so, can I claim that my hobby is watching Glee?

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Those are great choices! I LOVE scrapbooking, but haven't really done it since I got married. I got into knitting for awhile, but after I'd made 10 scarves and wasn't interested in learning how to make sweaters there wasn't much else to do. My vote is sewing, it just seems like there are so many things you can do with it - curtains, quilts, clothes, costumes.

L said...

I vote for knitting, it seems like it would be very satisfying. I too, have no hobbies. I sort of run, but it's more about exercise and sanity than hobbying so.....

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

Not crazy, but don't worry about actually completing anything...
But seriously, I have a few hobbies, though I cycles through them. Some of my most productive years were with babies or toddlers. I think it was because I really wanted to do something for ME. If that makes sense.

I love knitting, and wish I could take another class. I took a class and can do basic knitting, but I'd like to learn more about making socks or more complicated projects.

Erica said...

Sewing is nice but there is some investment to get started. I sewed a quilt and it was great but it cost a lot to get all the tools. My mom got me a learn to crochet kit for my birthday and I really want to learn to do that. It looks simple I just have to DO IT. Therein lies the rub. Good luck - I hope you dig whatever you choose!

claire said...

I love scrapbooking!

Salome Ellen said...

How about crocheting?! I could teach you the basics when Brandon and I visit in December (Miriel did mention that, right??) and it's much easier to pick up and put down than knitting.

Tara said...

Last January I decided to learn more about photography and take a workshop... and I loved it. (So much that now I have a business-- ha! Never would have seen that one coming...) I learned so much, and it just snowballed from there. I refuse to call it an obsession (yet).

I CAN say that having a creative outlet that I can do *while* being at home with my kids has been really great for me, personally. Hope you find something that fits! Though I definitely think Glee Watching is a worthwhile activity as well. ;-)

Sarah in Ottawa said...

I totally understand your desire to have a hobby that produces something. I mean - I love TV, too, (Veronica Mars! The Wire!) but I have been looking for something else. I have recently settled on card-making. It's like scrap-booking (and could morph into that) but it's great to be able to produce my own 'Thank You' notes and Birthday cards.

Let us know what you end up with!