Friday, November 19, 2010

First of all, I'd like to thank David for stepping up last night and posting for me after I got into bed and realized that I'd forgotten to write anything. Way to keep NaBloPoMo alive, honey!

* * * * *

Y'all, I am on the ball about Christmas this year. I've always dreaded shopping in years past and so I always put it off . . . and then I dread it even more because it's so late and I still have so many presents to buy and OMG I'm never going to be done with it all so why don't I just go sit in a corner and complain about how Christmas is too commercialized anyway.

Up until last year I had always been working, of course, or in school dealing with finals, and then last year I had a small, frequently angry baby to contend with. I didn't want to face the crowds at the stores, and yet the longer I waited to head out, the worse the crowds got. It was a vicious cycle.

But this year! I have already selected our Christmas card and uploaded the proper photos. I have a decent idea of what we're going to get most of our family members. I even know what I'm getting for David, who is notoriously hard to shop for, because (1) he just goes out and buys everything he wants, and (2) if he hasn't bought it yet, it's because it's insanely expensive and more than you want to spend on a Christmas gift. I'm totally psyched to see Nate experience Christmas this year, because I think he's actually going to enjoy seeing all the lights and hearing the music and opening presents. (Regardless, it has to beat last year, when David and I ended up taking turns eating Christmas dinner while the other one held Nate in an upstairs bedroom.)

I am going to get our shopping done in a timely manner, so that it doesn't overtake the season for me. And with the shopping done, I'll have time to do some of the things I've been wanting do do in seasons past, but haven't had time for:
  • Drive around our town playing Christmas music on the radio and looking for the best light displays
  • Watch It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas--both of which I've never seen (I know!)--while eating popcorn popped on the stove and drinking hot chocolate
  • Go see The Nutcracker
  • Visit the National Christmas Tree
  • Walk around Old Town to see the lights on King Street and the decorations on the old rowhouses
  • Find someplace to hear a performance of the Christmas portions of Handel's Messiah
What about you? Are there any special activities you're looking forward to during the Christmas season?

No comments: