Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Novena

Two years ago, Arwen told me about a novena she'd prayed three years earlier. She had been trying to get pregnant for two years at that point (ironic, isn't it, that she'll have FOUR children next summer?), and she was turning to this special, powerful prayer.

I knew, of course, that she got pregnant with Camilla less than two months after the novena was done, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any doubts that it would "work" for us. I mean, I know that God answers every prayer, but I also know that the answer isn't always the one we'd hoped for. We'd been waiting over three years for a baby by then, and I had only one fallopian tube, and I was ten years older than she'd been when the novena worked for her, and . . . let's just say I was hopeful, but hesitant.

But pray we did. As did the rest of Arwen's family, and less than a month after Christmas we found out I was expecting Nate.

Needless to say, then, I'm a big believer in this novena. We'll be praying it again this year, starting tomorrow, on the feast of Saint Andrew. The prayer is recited fifteen times per day from November 30th through Christmas. It's a lovely prayer and very easy to memorize.

If you'd like to join in, make sure you choose a good intention. This is one powerful prayer!

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
in which the Son of God was born of the Most pure Virgin Mary

at midnight in Bethlehem, in piercing cold.

In that hour, vouchsafe, o my God!

to hear my prayer and grant my desires
,
through the merits of our Savior Jesus Christ

and of His Blessed Mother.

Amen.

3 comments:

Patti Money said...

Thanks for sharing this, Lauren. I may be Protestant, but I have a huge amount of respect and awe for the liturgy and tradition of the Catholic Church (and have many Catholic friends). I have my own (seemingly improbable) intention and may very well say this novena. I know God won't mind hearing it from a Protestant. Hopefully St. Andrew and Mary won't, either. (:

maggie said...

I also have a Seemingly Improbable Intention. I just have this problem with, uh, forgetting about praying the Novena 3 or 4 days into it. So I'll be requiring intermittent kicks in the pants. I'm sure you'll be pleased to help me out on this.

Lindsay said...

Shoot. It's the 1st today, and I only just found out about the novena. Can I still pray it, or is it too late? :o/