Monday, November 2, 2009

Bottled Up

Yesterday was a big day in the Petroni household. I conquered my fear of the pump, and David got to feed Nate for the first time. It was strangely bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I was thrilled-- this development means the prospect of girls' night with friends, a dinner out with David, and the hair appointment that I already pushed back once to November 18th. On the other hand, it was pretty strange to see Nate getting his nutritional needs met by someone other than me. (Although I did still supply the nutrition. But you know what I mean.)

David has not been putting any pressure on me at all to pump so that he could feed Nate, thankfully. I've heard horror stories of husbands and grandparents pressuring a mom to pump so that they could "participate in feedings." Forget that, I say. I'll pump when it's needed and helpful, not so that anyone else gets the joy of giving my child a bottle.

Problem is, even after he sucked down 3.8 ounces from a bottle, Nate still wanted to comfort nurse. I guess that cold, hard plastic just isn't as nice as soft, warm mom flesh. We're still trying to figure out how we'll deal with that issue. Perhaps he'll just get used to having a bottle here and there? Could he have been dissatisfied because he knew I was in the room, and if I'm truly unavailable he won't fuss for me? Anyone with experience in this area?



2 comments:

Melinda said...

Excited you bit the bullet and bested the pump. Girls night here you come!

Robyn Smith said...

He could be in the middle of a growth spurt. They come often in the early days. After 6 - 8 weeks he'll likely even out and 4 oz will do him fine. If he wants to comfort suck, and you won't be available, a pinky finger (with the pad to the roof of the mouth) works wonders. My third refused the paci so he got my pinky finger for comfort sucking for awhile.