Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nathanael Sherer Petron


So, the parenthood thing.  It's time-consuming.  So time-consuming, apparently, that we've been unable to update the blog with the best news of our lives.

Nate was born at 1:41 p.m. on Tuesday, October 6.  He weighed 9 pounds, 2 ounces, and was 21 inches long.  He nurses like a champ and is the most beautiful baby we've ever seen-- not that we're biased or anything.  He's charming everyone he meets and has his parents wrapped around his little finger.

We were in the hospital from Tuesday until Friday evening.  The hospital stay definitely had its ups and downs, and we were grateful to get home.  At home, no one yells at me if I pull Nate into bed with me when he's fussy at night.  At home, we don't have random hospital staff dropping by our room at 3:00 in the morning to draw our son's blood.  At home, David has a comfortable bed to sleep in and comfortable chairs to sit in.  Of course, at home we don't have nurses available 24 hours a day to answer any questions we may have.

We've been doing really well, though.  David has been home all week with me, and no one could take better care of me than he does.  We've had abundant meals provided by friends and family.  (I'm a bit ashamed to say that we've eaten far better since Nate's birth than we did during most of my pregnancy.)  We've managed to shower regularly and get a fairly decent amount of sleep, considering that we're dealing with a newborn.

We want to find the time to post a full birth story.  I had wondered in some ways whether I'd want to post one at all, considering that I didn't experience labor or what I'd always viewed as "real" childbirth.  But our story is ours, and it was truly amazing, despite its distance from our initial plans.  Every time I think about or talk about hearing Nate cry for the first time I get weepy.  It was probably the best moment of my life.

For now, just know that we're doing well, better than I could have anticipated.  We're in love with this little guy and can't wait to share more.  

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats! Life with a newborn does take a great deal of adjustment, so it's understandable if the blog is not number one on your list of priorities. Hope you all settle in and enjoy the newborn days. They go by so fast!

Sarah in Ottawa said...

Congratulations!! He is adorable and sounds like a doll. I hope that you aren't drowning in a sea of baby poop (ah - the newborn days) and that you're soaking in this time. We look forward to hearing all about Nathanael when you have free moments.

Tracy said...

He is gorgeous. Welcome to the world, Nathanael. May your life be full of love, laughter, and blessings from God.

Arwen said...

I can't believe this day has finally come for you two, and you know I'm beyond thrilled that it has. God is so good!

I can't wait to meet Nate. What a little cutie!

HereWeGoAJen said...

He's gorgeous and totally perfect. Congratulations

Danielle said...

Congratulations! He is perfect and beautiful.

AmyRobynne said...

Congratulations! My first son (or was it my second...geesh. One was a few ounces heavier) was exactly that height and weight. Yay for linebackers!

Dr. Maureen said...

Sent over by Arwen. Congratulations! He is beautiful!

sonetka said...

So cute - congratulations!

MichelleRenee said...

Happy Baby Day!

Hope you all are getting enough sleep.