Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What You Can Get in Fifteen Minutes

Okay, I have officially been reprimanded by at least two people for not posting nearly often enough.  (Well, one of the reprimands came from a friend THROUGH David, but I'm still counting it.)  So I'm trying Jen and Arwen's 15-minutes-at-a-time plan for forcing yourself to blog.  Here goes-- I promise nothing of great interest.  (Certainly not as interesting as Blaise's birth story, which Arwen is blogging 15 minutes at a time.  Go read about how my adorable godson was born!!)

Yesterday was David's birthday.  My wonderful, amazing, brilliant, charming, adorable husband has reached the ripe old age of 34.  Considering that he jokes that he's been 45 since he was a kid, he still has more than a decade before he catches up with his "real" age.  (I wonder-- what happens once he actually reaches age 45?  The curiosity, it KILLS ME.)  We went out to a lovely dinner on Saturday night at Restaurant Eve, just the two of us, and then scarfed Tex-Mex last night with his brother.  I also made him birthday chocolate chip cookies.  His amazing secretary brought in cupcakes to the office and rounded up a bunch of his colleagues for a mid-afternoon surprise.  Love you, Ann!!

In other news, I've been totally enjoying hanging out with the baby lately.  I say "with" the baby, because I'm now feeling him move around on a regular basis, so I'm reminded more and more than I'm never alone these days.  I can't tell you how much I love this.  I remember back during the first trimester and early second trimester, when I looked forward to each doctor's appointment with baited breath because it was the time when I got reassurance-- via ultrasound or doppler-- that everything was still going well in there.  I thought at the time how nice it would be when I could feel the baby move myself, each and every day, and not have to wonder until the next appointment whether things were fine.  And now that time is here!  It's truly amazing.  There have been a couple of instances when David has been able to feel him, too, but his kicks aren't generally strong enough yet.  I'll sometimes feel him randomly, when I'm just sitting with my hand or arm across my stomach, but his bigger jabs are generally random and isolated, so I don't have the chance to grab David's hand and squish it against my midsection.  (Not that I haven't TRIED, just that it doesn't actually WORK.)

I recall Arwen telling me back before Blaise was born that she and Bryan had a conversation about the fact that it would never be so easy to take care of Blaise as it was right then, when he was snugly ensconced in her belly.  I've been thinking the same thing as I look around our totally-not-baby-appropriate house and try to figure out what the heck kind of equipment we're going to need to purchase to take care of this kid.  Even back before I got pregnant, I remember that the impact on our home was one of the (admittedly minor) things I worried about when I thought of having a child.  We are a little fastidious when it comes to our house, and I really, really can't stand the look of a lot of plastic-y toys and childproofing equipment.  I know a lot of that stuff will be necessary, and I'm well aware that it won't bother me nearly so much once the baby is born and the whole he-is-my-first-priority-and-decor-pales-in-comparison instinct takes over.  But still.  I've already told David that I will purchase a coffee table with no corners before I will subject myself to one of those coffee table bumper thingies.  

Ah-- fifteen minutes are up!  You get a post, but probably not a very good one.  And for my dear sister, who has been giving me much-deserved grief about not providing and recent photos of myself, I present:  Me At 22 Weeks Pregnant, courtesy of the computer camera:


6 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

Find a BEAUTIFUL and heavy decorator fabric that fits your decor. Make a coffee table tablecloth a foot longer and wider than your table. Put a heavy book or two on top so it doesn't slide, or use rubber mat or double-stick tape if your table can handle it. Instant (pretty!) baby-proofed corners. You can add matching runners to other things for a coordinated look.
(And if you don't sew you can send the fabric to me and I'll do it....)

Natalie said...

Yeah!!! I'm so happy for an updated post (and am thrilled to see a new picture!). You look awesome! I can't wait to meet my nephew :-)

Arwen said...

You look adorable! :)

Branwen said...

You look beautiful and profoundly happy. I LOVE being able to feel the baby move too, it's my favorite part of being pregnant!

Miriel said...

Youuuuuuu arrrrre soooooo cuuuuuute.

That is all.

blog nerd said...

Radiant. Thanks for the link--it reminded me to put you in my feed reader!