Sunday, May 31, 2009

Vacation's End

So, we're home from vacation, which is both good and bad.  It's good in the sense that I always like being back at home, in my most comfortable surroundings, where I always have everything I need.  It's bad, though, because I already miss the friends with whom we vacationed, and also because David has to go back to work tomorrow.

Now that I'm not working, there was a part of me that wondered what "vacation" would really feel like.  We were heading up to Harbor Springs, Michigan, with Arwen and Bryan and the kids, and we were staying in a big, three-story condo that Bryan's parents own.  We wouldn't be lounging poolside, drinking cocktails and sunning ourselves.  In fact, life on vacation would, in some ways, be very much like life at home:  We were planning to cook most meals at the condo; we'd clean up after ourselves and do some laundry while we were there; and we'd of course have a toddler and a four-month-old demanding our attention.  (Well, mostly Arwen and Bryan's attention.  But David and I really did help!)  Without a break from an office job, would vacation really feel, well, vacation-y?

In a word, yes.  I realized in the days leading up to the trip that the thing I was perhaps looking forward to the most was simply being around my husband for nine days straight.  David works so very, very hard, and is often at the office so very, very late, and I knew it would be a treat to get to spend so much time together.  I was also excited for him, because I knew how much he needed a break.  I was so happy to see him able to sleep in, read books, play with the kids, and spend hours talking with our friends.

And, of course, we loved spending time with Arwen and Bryan and their adorable kids.  Camilla has reached the age of utter hilarity, and she cracked us up all week long.  She is whip-smart, too, and interested in everything you're doing.  Blaise is just too sweet and gorgeous for words; I found myself just starting at his perfect little face more than once during the week as he slept in my arms.  I think our little guy must have known when I was holding Blaise, because every time I did, he started kicking like mad.  I think the two of them are going to be great pals.  

We can talk to Arwen and Bryan for hours and hours on end . . . and we did.  We read books and ate good food.  The weather didn't exactly cooperate-- the ten-day forecast had promised sunny weather in the mid- to upper-60s, and instead it was rainy or overcast and only in the 50s-- but we didn't really care.  None of us felt the need to pack our days full of sights or activities.  It was enough just to relax and enjoy the good company and the break from everyday life.  

Tomorrow, I'll share a piece of drama from our first night in Harbor Springs, when we feared we'd need to call the fire department to rescue David and me from our room.  But tonight, I'll just try to keep myself in that vacation frame of mind for a little while longer.

1 comment:

Arwen said...

Bryan and I were just discussing last night how much we love talking and hanging with you guys. We miss you too!

I'm so bummed that it's going to be fall before we see each other again. We'll have to make sure to talk to each other on the phone often.