Monday, December 29, 2008

On the Fitness of Presidents

There's been some talk of what good shape President-Elect Obama is in.  My initial reaction had been, "Good for him.  I wish I were in such good shape."  But my (almost immediate) second reaction was, "What's all the fuss about?  President Bush is extraordinarily fit, too."

What I hadn't realized, though, is that the same media that's gaga over the President-Elect's pecs has faulted President Bush for working out too much.  As Michelle Malkin puts it, "Fit Republican president = Selfish, indulgent, creepy fascist," while "Fit Democratic president = Disciplined, health-conscious Adonis role model."

Hardly a surprise, I guess.

1 comment:

Arwen said...

Ha! I thought of that too! I remember once reading in an editorial that Bush's resting heart rate is somewhere in the 40s, and the point of the whole piece was that the guy was obviously working out too much and not taking his job seriously enough. Obviously a good president would be stressed, fat, and unhealthy.

Of course if Bush had been stressed, fat, and unhealthy, that would be the wrong thing too. Whereas if Obama were a giantly obese donut fiend they'd find some way to spin it positively. (Man of the people! Eats junk food like the little guys!)

I am not looking forward to what the next four years are going to do to my blood pressure.