Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Home [Making] for Christmas

For years now, I've owned a book entitled Home Comforts:  The Art and Science of Keeping House.  Its author is a former lawyer who always had a soft spot in her heart for the details of making and keeping a home beautiful and comfortable.  As a lawyer who would always rather be working around the house, I could totally relate to her obsession.  There's something about creating a soothing haven from the mean, crazy world that is so appealing to me.  

It shouldn't be surprising, then, that many of the items on my Christmas list related to cooking and homemaking.  And my family was happy to indulge my requests.

One of my projects this week has been to move all of my dry baking goods into new, stackable canisters in the pantry . . .


. . . to make room on the countertop for this beauty:


I can't overstate my excitement over this new mixer, courtesy of my in-laws.  (Thanks, Barb and Joe!)  David and I didn't register for a stand mixer when we got married, because frankly our kitchen is pretty puny.  I wasn't sure how much I'd actually use a KitchenAid, and I didn't want to sacrifice our limited counter space and cabinet space for something that wasn't going to get a regular workout.  

I've recently been stepping up my baking, though, and my hand mixer just wasn't cutting it.  I made basic chocolate chip cookies yesterday with the new mixer, and it was so . . . easy.  My arm wasn't sore afterward.  I was able to measure ingredients and cut parchment paper while the butter and sugar were creaming.  It was a dream.  Unfortunately for my waistline, I see many more baked goods in my future.

I also received a few books for Christmas to feed my ever-growing cooking and homekeeping obsession:

(and a new Bible, for good measure).  

One of my goals for next year is to cook far more at home than we have in the past, and I think it's safe to say I'm well-equipped to get started.  Who's coming over?

1 comment:

Arwen said...

*I* want to come over! Too bad it's such a long drive...

I'm totally jealous that your new Kitchenaid mixer is a Professional. I really want to replace my Artisan (the smaller model) with one of those. The Artisan is enough to get the job done most of the time but I swear mine has some weird quirk where the bowl and the mixer head don't quite line up. It makes a strange noise when it mixes, and the pin that holds the top and bottom together slides out gradually, so I have to constantly be pushing it back in. If I can't leave the mixer on the counter kneading bread dough because it will migrate off the edge. I just know if I had a Professional series mixer I would not have any of these problems.

Oh, plus all my other small appliances are black and my mixer is white. A little thing, but it bugs me.

Man, I didn't realize how much I wanted a new stand mixer! Might just have to save up a little of my own money and spring for one.

...and wow, I've sure rambled on about this. Anyway, your new mixer is beautiful, your baking supplies look so lovely and organized, and I'm sure your already-great homemaking skills are going to be totally incredible by this time next year!