Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday Randomness

Two photos from my day today.  First of all, I did my civic duty this morning:

Virginia technically doesn't have "early" voting, whereby one can vote before Election Day for no reason at all except avoiding long lines.  Instead, we have "in-person absentee" voting; the difference is that to vote early in Virginia, you have to attest to why you can't vote on election day.  There are any number of legitimate reasons, including being out of town on Election Day.  Which, now, I will be!  I booked a plane ticket yesterday to go visit Arwen, Bryan, and Camilla next week.  

I figure that, despite fervent prayer on my behalf (and by countless others), we are likely facing a bloodbath next Tuesday.  Better for me to be in a home with no television, an adorable child to dote on, and plenty of opportunity for baking than to be stuck on Capitol Hill with a bunch of gloating Democrats.  And if endless repetition of the Itsy-Bitsy Spider and "Here's the Church, Here's the Steeple" doesn't dull the pain of watching the country go to Hades in a handbasket, well, there's always alcohol.  Stock up, Arwen.  I know you can't have any, but do it for me.

Second, David and I received an adorable Halloween surprise in the mail today from my dad and Beth and J.J.:


I am more fun than your typical Halloween card.  I am jaunty and smiling.  Hang me by your front door for the two trick-or-treaters you may see on Friday.

Ever since my sister and I were little, Beth has sent us random holiday cards.  Not one to hit up the Hallmark only on Christmas and birthdays, Beth is likely to send you a dancing leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day, a Jack-o-Lantern on Halloween, a smiling turkey on Thanksgiving, or a toiling worker for Labor Day.  Okay, I made that last one up, but it was always fun to get "extra" holiday cards in the mail for holidays where they're not expected.  Thanks, Beth!

1 comment:

Arwen said...

I don't even know the state of our liquor cabinet, since I've been off the booze for months and Bryan sticks to beer in the summer. Will check for you, though. In case of emergency can always dispatch Bryan on midnight run to the grocery store (remember, liquor is available at all hours here!) so don't you worry your pretty little head about it.