Sunday, October 26, 2008

Playing Tourist in my Own Town

I took Thursday and Friday off from work to play like a tourist in D.C.  Ali and Trip came up from Savannah for a visit, so we had to see all the sights.  

Thursday was a perfect, gorgeous day in the city:  Bright blue skies, a few puffy clouds, and just-cool-enough temperatures.  We decided to head down to the National Mall to walk around the monuments.

We parked near the Washington Monument to start our walking tour.  

Ali and Trip agreed to some rare PDA (of the arm-around-the-shoulder variety) for a photo by the monument.

We don't get terrific fall color in D.C., but we do get something!

I was excited to get to walk through the World War II memorial.  The last time I'd been near it on foot, it was roped off, and we could only see it from afar.  It really is a beautiful and fitting memorial.  I wish that my grandfathers, both WWII veterans, had been able to see it before they died this year.




The field of stars represents the American soldiers who died in World War II.  Obviously each star represents many soldiers.

After the WWII memorial, we continued down the Mall toward the Lincoln Memorial.  The reflecting pool was looking kind of gross.


Check out the duck butt by Trip's hand.  Hee hee.


Yes, we were twinsies in our vesties.  At least they weren't the same color.

The squirrels on the Mall are very fat and very unafraid.

We stopped over to look at the Korean War veterans' memorial.  I kind of like it because it's so different, but there are a lot of folks who think it's ugly.  

It's also really spooky at night.


Trip contemplates the images at the Korean War veterans' memorial.

Trip and Mr. Lincoln's house.


I loved reading the Gettysburg Address again.  Seriously, if you haven't read it in a while, do it now.  It's worth it.  


Ali contemplates the words of one of our greatest Presidents.  Or enjoys the view.  You know, whatever.

Check out the reflection of the Washington Monument in my sunglasses.  Who needs the reflecting pool when you have Lauren's gigantic reflecting glasses?

Okay, maybe the reflecting pool is pretty cool.  Even if it's pretty slimy.

I find the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial to be pretty moving.  I know some people don't like it, but there's something about seeing all those names etched in the granite.


We had to get a shot of me standing by the little island where David and I got engaged.  The island is a memorial to the signers of the Declaration of Independence.  

Another beautiful day in D.C.  


It turned out to be a good thing that we walked around outside on Thursday, because Friday and Saturday were both gray and rainy.  We still had a good time, though.  We hit the White House on Friday morning to tour the East Wing, and followed that up with a tour of the Capitol.  Because I see the Capitol every day, I neglected to take any pictures-- though I'm sure Ali will put some up over at her blog.  

The gray day matched our mood after touring the Holocaust Memorial Museum, which is extraordinarily well done-- and incredibly moving.  I feel like I need to go back at least three more times just to take it all in.  You could literally spend hours in there and not see everything.

The funniest part of the day occurred as we finished up lunch at Matchbox.  Our waitress suggested that we visit the new Newseum, which is dedicated to news and journalism.  Sometimes I tend to-- ahem-- speak without thinking (I know, you're really surprised!), and I just blurted out, loudly, "Nah, I kind of hate journalists."  And I do.  I can't stand their lack of objectivity, their generally obvious liberal bias, their pushiness, and the way they can never seem to accurately describe anything involving the law.  (To be fair, I know that the law is complicated.  But in their efforts to simplify important court rulings or new laws, news writers always seem to lose important nuance.)

Our waitress didn't seem to mind my little outburst, but the two girls at the table next to ours whipped around and stared at me, mouths agape, eyes glaring.  Journalists, I suppose.  Ah, well.  I hope I didn't embarrass Ali and Trip too much.  

3 comments:

Arwen said...

Hey, great pictures! Also, haha on the journalist comment. I totally agree with you :)

qwertyuiop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George said...

If you haven't read the Orson Scott Card piece "Would the Last Honest Reporter Please Turn On the Lights?", you should do so. It is a surprisingly refreshing paper from a Democrat in favor of gun control.

In fact, I will link to it.
http://ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2008-10-05-1.html

Oh, and sweet pictures. When I was in DC in March, I went to all he monuments, and I definitely agree about the WWII Memorial being great.