Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cookie Madness!

When David and I were down in Savannah, I caught a rerun of Martha Stewart's show in which she discussed her then-new "Cookies" cookbook.  I don't really do a lot of baking, much to David's disappointment, but somehow the thought of making various batches of cookies didn't seem too intimidating.  Besides, I've long wanted to be able to make a variety of treats to share with friends during the holidays, and I'm hoping this will be a good year to start.

We both had Labor Day off from work, so we decided to make a double batch of cookies from the book to thank our neighbors for looking after the house while we were on vacation.  I selected a recipe that seemed interesting, but not too difficult-- while some recipes require quite a variety of equipment, this one simply required us to buy some cookie cutters.  We were making Biscuit Sandwich Cookies, which are buttery and not to sweet, but filled with melted chocolate.  

The dough came together very easily in the food processor, but neither of us realized just how challenging it would be to roll the dough out to a 1/16-inch thickness.  We never could get them thin enough, and a recipe that was supposed to yield 18 sandwich cookies per batch (36 individual cookies) only gave us 11-12 sandwiches per batch.  

Still, they were delicious, and our neighbors really seemed to like them!


The benefit of having too few cookies, though, was that we had a ton of leftover chocolate.  David had the terrific idea of making chocolate-covered pretzels to accompany the cookies.  We had so much fun that we melted even more chocolate and dipped every pretzel in the house!  Here's a photo of just a few of them:


We were expecting yesterday to be a disaster, weather-wise, and so Friday evening I stocked up on ingredients to make a big pot of chili, and some good old chocolate chip cookies from the new cookbook.  I don't have a stand mixer (yet!), and as I mixed and mixed with my little hand mixer, I began to wonder whether the from-scratch chocolate chip cookies would really be any better than the slice-and-bake dough.  I'm pleased to report that making them from  scratch was totally worth it, and David and his brother both raved about the cookies.  

So, the Martha Stewart Cookies book?  Is a big hit so far.  I'm glad we bought it!

2 comments:

PrinceOfTheWest said...

I'll have to try writing up my 1-2-3 chili recipe for you to try. It's a big hit with my family!

perennial-mommy said...

Lauren, those cookies are beautiful and there is nothing better than chocolate dipped pretzels!