Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Splitting Hairs

I seem to rely on the Congressional schedule for getting my hair cut and colored.  My hair appointments are multi-hour processes involving highlights, lowlights, between-the-foils color, cut, and blowdry/style.  (I know, I know.  You're shocked that my hair is not naturally a multidimensional reddish hue.  Sorry to disappoint.)  Because it takes so long, and because I never remember to snag a coveted weekend appointment weeks and weeks in advance, I generally end up letting it go until things are slow at work, and I head to the salon on a weekday afternoon.  Hence this Thursday's appointment.  

Every time I go, I'm tempted to tell my stylist to just do something new.  I've had the same hairstyle for roughly a gazillion years now-- flippy in the back, layer-y in the front-- owing largely to the fact that my hair will not-in-a-million-years-not-for-the-life-of-me turn under in the back or on the right-hand side.  It's annoying, but after fighting it for years, I've just decided to go with it.  

Here's my hair as of today:


Have I mentioned that I'm obsessed with our new Mac?  It can take your picture!

So the question is, what should I do with my hair now?  I had bangs going on for a while, but I was too lazy-slash-preoccupied to have them trimmed on a regular basis.  (See congressional schedule = haircut schedule, above.)  Should I brave it and tell the stylist to just have at it?  I've pretty much ceded my color to my colorist, and I'm happy with what she does.  I've just been a lot warier when it comes to the cut.  

I'd love to be able to take a cute photo into the salon, but I've determined that cute haircut photos don't really exist.  Every time I look through a fashion magazine, every photo is of a model with long, long hair of some sort.  Long and stick-straight.  Long and layered and wavy.  Long and pulled up into a messy-but-chic ponytail.  Every time I try to look through one of those "hairstyle" magazines, the styles are all hideous and unrealistic and asymmetrical.

Seriously, I see women all the time with cute hair.  Every time I see someone on the street whose hair I love, I'm tempted to run up to her and ask to take a picture with my camera phone, just to have something to show my stylist.  My question is, why are the cute hairstyles so unavailable in print?  Is it a conspiracy of some sort?  Am I missing something?

I'd appreciate advice before Thursday!!

2 comments:

perennial-mommy said...

Hey Girlie! I have to say...I loved your short haircut when we first moved in at Players Club. :) Can you believe how long ago that was?? Maybe something sassy and short? But I do love your hair just like it is...I am growing my hair back out long after being way short for a year. We are never satisfied, are we? Nice picture!

Ali said...

i actually think it looks great in this pic just the way it is. lookin' good, miss thang.